If you’re new to vaping and searching for the best vape juice, we’re here to help. Below, we answer all of your questions about ejuices and how to select the best eliquids on the market.
What’s in Vape Juice?
So what exactly is vape juice? It’s a mix of the following ingredients:
- vegetable glycerin (VG)
- propylene glycol (PG)
VG & PG
Commonly shortened to VG and PG, vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol are main ingredients in ejuice. They don’t smell like anything, and they’re completely clear. Most eliquids consist of a VG/PG ratio. Different ratios are best for different vaping preferences. Higher VG ratios are known for a very smooth experience creating lots of vapor and are best in more powerful devices. Higher PG ratios are more flavorful, provide more of a throat hit, and are best for small, less powerful devices.
There are two ways to consume nicotine in vape juice: freebase and salts.
What Is Freebase Nicotine?
Freebase nicotine is the standard. If you use a vape juice that doesn’t say anything about salts on it, it’s most likely freebase. Freebase nicotine formulas get their name from the fact that it’s a free compound and a pure version of the chemical.
What Is Nicotine Salt?
Nicotine salts are found in the tobacco plant itself and make a more stable compound. Vapers report a smoother throat hit from nicotine salt ejuice, so they’re a great option if you were previously a heavy smoker or someone who ingests a large amount of nicotine.
Vape Juice Flavors
The options for vape juice flavors are endless. Candy? Fruit? Tobacco? Mint? All of these flavors (and more) are available in a variety of sizes and blends. If you’re looking to quit smoking, some blends even mimic the taste of your preferred cigarette.
For the daring vapers out there, you can find plenty of weird vape flavors on the market. It’s just as easy to buy pizza or blue cheese ejuice as it is to buy one that tastes like peaches or muffins. Coffee, candy, and menthol are all fantastic options to try when you’re looking for the best tasting vape juice.
How to Choose a Vape Juice
Choose Nicotine Strength
Start your search by deciding what level of nicotine you want in your eliquid.
- 0 mg: If you just like the feeling or the taste, try vape juice without nicotine. Former smokers who have lessened their nicotine intake use zero nicotine ejuice, too.
- 3 to 6 mg: This is a great range for occasional smokers who may enjoy vape juice with light nicotine, as well as those using larger devices that create a significant amount of vapor.
- 12 to 18 mg: Smokers who are beginning to switch to vaping may find that this range is best to keep cravings at bay. Devices with tighter airflow that create less vapor will work great for this nicotine range.
- 18+ mg: A higher level of nicotine is best for smokers who consumed more than a pack of cigarettes daily. If you want a stronger hit, nicotine salts contain up to 50 mg of nicotine. Vape juice with this much nicotine should only be used in small mouth-to-lung devices (such as pod systems) that generate less vapor.
An important thing to remember is that you might need to experiment with different nicotine strengths as you get started. If your eliquid is too harsh, you might have chosen too high of a nicotine strength. If you find yourself vaping constantly but are never satisfied, you might need to try a higher-strength juice.
What’s the Best VG/PG Ratio?
When it comes to VG vs. PG, you’ll have to do some experimentation to find what you love.
High VG Vape Juices
- 80 VG/20 PG: Eliquids with an 80/20 ratio will give you maximum vapor for large, billowing clouds. With a VG this high, use more powerful box devices over smaller pens.
- 70 VG/30 PG: This extremely common ratio delivers nice clouds and smooth flavor and is designed to be used in sub ohm vaping.
High PG Vape Juices
- 50 VG/50 PG: This balanced blend isn’t too heavy on the PG, but gives a nice throat hit and flavor in equal measures. 50 VG/50 PG formulas are great for mouth to lung vaping using smaller devices and those trying smoking cessation.
- 30 VG/70 PG: Small, basic vapes will do best with vape juices higher in PG. These are especially perfect for vapers who prefer to be discreet with their vapor.
As a general rule, PG-heavy and more balanced flavor ratio eliquid is a thinner substance, which makes them better for smaller, low-wattage devices. Vape juice with a high VG content is thicker, resists higher temperatures, and requires more powerful devices.
Find Your New Favorite Flavor
When you search for the most popular vape flavors, you’ll see all kinds of interesting names and blends. It can be overwhelming to see all of these ejuices, especially if you’re not sure what you like. But there are some steps to make the process of finding a vape juice go smoother.
- Purchase Small Bottles: When venturing into uncharted territory, there’s nothing wrong with starting small. If you have the option, try a 15ml bottle of a new ejuice you’re unsure about.
- Read Reviews: Although manufacturers do their best to give you a perfect description of their vape juices, reading product reviews from other vapers is a great way to find new flavors and blends.
- Experiment: You’ll need to try lots of vape juices to figure out what you like best. Test out single flavors, as well as more complex blends, menthol versions of flavors you love, and more. There’s a whole world of eliquids out there to explore.
Whether you’re looking for a sweet or savory flavor, JSD has you covered. Try one of the best vape juices available and find your new favorite from our vape products today.