As a vaper, you may sometimes find yourself in a public or private setting where producing a cloud of heavily-scented vapor just isn’t right for the moment. In those situations, it’s good to know how to effectively and discreetly vape. Check out our tips and tricks for stealth vaping below.
What Is Stealth Vaping?
Stealth vaping is simply choosing to vape as discreetly as possible. Contrary to the stereotypical image of someone who vapes, it’s entirely possible to vape without drawing any attention to yourself. To do this, start by:
- Minimizing cloud vapor
- Choosing non or lightly-scented ejuices
- Keeping your device out of sight
Why Should You Stealth Vape?
Stealth vaping might seem silly when you’re familiar with vapes, but for people who don’t know what vaping is or who associate it with cigarette smoking, it can have a negative social impact.
Here are some reasons why someone might consider vaping discreetly:
- It can seem inconsiderate, especially if you have a habit of letting vapor drift toward people instead of away from them.
- Friendly strangers might want to strike up a conversation about your device, which may create unwelcome attention.
- Being in the company of people who don’t know you vape may encourage you toward discretion.
- It may be considered rude at an event like a wedding or funeral (or even just vaping indoors).
- Some people may fear the vapor in the same way they fear secondhand smoke.
- Privacy doesn’t need a negative reason—sometimes, it’s just not anyone’s business.
How to Hide Vape Clouds
The most obvious sign that someone is vaping is a plume of vapor coming from their face. Whether you’re vaping in public or just practicing your stealth vaping techniques, choosing the right device and ejuice is the best way to cut down on that cloud production.
Which Vape Device Should You Use?
When it comes to stealth vaping, lower voltage means lower vapor. Using smaller devices—like pod systems or vape pens—will give you the kick you crave without making it obvious that you’re vaping. Compact vape devices are your best bet for stealth vaping not only due to their vapor output, but also because they’re easier to hide in your hand, in your pocket, or under a table. Learn more about how to find the best vape device for your needs.
Which Vape Juice Should You Use?
With so many top-rated eliquids out there, you might be a little disappointed to give up your favorite flavor. Certain scents in the air will draw more attention than others and should be avoided when you’re trying to stealth vape. Tobacco, menthol, and strong fruity flavors may be best to leave at home when you’re stealth vaping. For the vapers who really want to cover their tracks, try a flavorless vape juice. You can also opt for an ejuice with more PG in it, which produces significantly less vapor. Learn more about how to choose the right vape juice for your needs.
The Stealth Vaping Method
When you’re attempting to vape secretly, you’ll want to make sure that you continue to inhale after you’ve released any pressed buttons. All the vapor in the atomizer itself should be in your mouth before you put the device away. Make sure to curl your hand around your compact device and cover any lights with your palm.
Hold the vapor in your mouth before inhaling it into your lungs as this will help it dissipate faster. After a short inhale, discreet vapers can either inhale in one steady breath or in several shorter breaths. You should then hold your breath for as long as possible (without making it obvious). Exhaling through your nose may also minimize the vapor.
If you’re having difficulty concealing your vaping after following these steps, try using a barrier. Exhaling into a paper towel, a tissue, or your shirt will help absorb the vapor and prevent a visible cloud. This technique also softens some of the intense scents that ejuices can create. This “zero vaping” technique is best when you’re not next to someone, as they may notice if you’re regularly looking down your shirt or hear the sound of the coil heating up.
When Should You Vape Discreetly?
There are several situations in which you might prefer a cloudless vape. A discreet vape pen is just the thing if you’re craving a puff in certain places (assuming it’s allowed):
- Around certain people
Disclaimer: Don’t vape illegally. As vaping becomes more popular, several establishments have lumped it in with smoking bans. If you get caught, you might face more than a lecture—it could be jail time. We strongly recommend that stealth vapers avoid vaping in the following locations:
- Airplanes: It’s a federal crime to smoke on an airplane, even in the bathroom.
- Anywhere with a “no vaping” sign: If there’s a sign that specifically tells you not to vape, you’re better off following that rule.
- Anywhere with a “no smoking” sign: You might be able to get away with this, but as mentioned, many establishments lump together smoking and vaping.
- Around photoelectric smoke detectors: It’s difficult to tell what kind of smoke detector you’re looking at from the outside, and it may not be an issue at all. But photoelectric smoke detectors work with a tiny laser beam inside that cannot be disrupted by any sort of smoke or visible vapor without the alarm going off.
- Hospitals: Don’t take this risk. Certain conditions might make it uncomfortable or dangerous for a patient to be around vapor.
Vaping is an enjoyable pastime, whether you’re stealth vaping or attempting to make massive clouds of vapor. JSD is here to help you find the right device, starter kit, or vape juice today.